Sunday, June 19, 2005

drunk and funky swinging diamonds


Can't believe this heatwave...us Scots talk about the weather as much as the rest of our island neighbours. Went for a walk round the environs of Portobello, a dandy wee town just outside Edinburgers and admired the gardens and the beach with a few brave souls giving it laldy in the waves. Now it is 8.30 in the evening and I am still outside with a t shirt on. Had a look at my blog stats and Patti Smith is way out in the lead..interesting her and John Fogerty being the two that get the most downloads. Listening to George Jones right now on a great compilation..I always come back to country in the end...here is one of his best
George Jones Swinging Doors MP3
He would have drunk and drugged Kurt Cobain off his Cons. He woke up to a Bloody Mary and spent the rest of the day checking out the Bourbon.By the mid 70's he had added cocaine and whisky. Sounds very inventive...and it didn't seem to clog up his pipes and he still spends up to 165 days a year on the road. Now where did I go wrong??? Anyone know a good pharmacist?
Here is someone who has been definately influenced by 'No Show Jones' although I hasten to add that to my knowledge he does appear for every gig. This guy never takes off his hat and has a great leg technique that is almost as funky as The Kings. I have purchased most of his albums and I would urge you to do same.
Dwight Yoakum If Teardrops Were Diamonds MP3
This is from Population Me and gets played a lot in this house.
A live track from The New Riders of the Purple Sage makes this a hat trick. I have loved them since Panama Red and the blast off into cosmic psychedelic country folk
New Riders of the Purple Sage Watcha gonna do? live MP3

2 Comments:

Blogger homercat said...

I've been a Yoakum fan since his very first album. Good choice.

homercat from Good Rockin, Tonight

10:40 pm  
Blogger countrygrrl said...

thanx for the comments!!! yup countrry is a broad church with twang to torch and every type of yodel in the middle. I myself like to wear a bandana on willie's birthday and have a countrry trucker greats cassette in the first aid box in my car...as for Dwight Y he is one of the greats right from the early route days and that line about G B7 C G
If you ever get south of Cincinnati
C D7 G D7
down where the dogwood trees grow' gets me every time....keep it real keep it countrry!!!!

11:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home