Sunday, February 27, 2005

MP3s at last!

First up, Peter Rowan - Panama Red. In the 1970s this track was one of my favourites and I never knew for years who did it. Then I came across this guy ...Peter Rowan is known for his 'newgrass style' a more liberal style of bluegrass with psychedelic and rock influences.He played with Muleskinner who released just one fab album. This was the bluegrass supersession featuring David Grisman, Clarence White and others.This helped to bring bluegrass out of the backwoods and into the arena. It was music like this that got me inspired to play in bands and learn to play yeehaw fiddle.
Neko Case - If You Knew from the album The Tigers have spoken is where this awesome track comes from.I tend to listen to mostly male vocalists...sometimes find womens voices a bit bland read Norah Jones, Diana Krall and Martina McBride..but I guess you could say the same about Cliff Richard and Jamie Cullen. Anyway I think Neko Case has a fab voice and rate her alongside Natalie from the Dixies, Allison Moorer and Hazel and Alice. Today recovering after a house hooly with a few friends....had on CMT in the background through the PC...trying to brainwash them into loving roots and country music...

2 Comments:

Blogger Dylan Gaughan said...

I love Panama Red! Comes on my iTunes party shuffle a lot. I think I got my version from the Easy Rider soundtrack.

Dylan

7:28 am  
Blogger Greg said...

Great track! I think the orig. version is the one I heard first back in the 70's -- New Riders of the Purple Sage. And thanx for the comment on my blog -- do come back! --Enchilada

2:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home