Sunday, March 20, 2005

Spanglish, Engrish and countrry

Language is a funny thing, and spelling even more so. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt. I guess spelling is changing, maybe my version of c'est la vie will take off, what with texting lingo, Spanglish and of course my favourite engrish I have a good chance of being understood. Check out this fab site www.engrish.com.
Here are a couple of tracks that you don't hear very often...
First up is Mr Teardrop himself, Marty Robbins. The writer of hits such as 'You gave me a mountain' and 'My Woman, My Woman, My Wife', which won him his second Grammy. This is from the first album I bought of his, Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs originally released in 1959.
Enjoy Marty Robbins San Angelo!
Next, it's Dick Curless, also known as 'The Tumbleweed Kid', like Maine native Dave Dudley had a hot catalogue of truck driving and highway songs. Dick's voice seems to come from a drain deep in the ground with the manhole cover firmly closed. I love his stuff, particularly this one:
Dick Curless Crazy Heart. He unfortunately died in 1995 just months before his last disc 'Traveling Through' was released on Rounder.
Living here in Bonnie Scotland, we don't have room for a rig to turn on a dime...and a lorry with more than 8 wheels seems exotic..so I enjoy listening to trucker sounds, hope you too enjoy the ride.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Back at ya, countrygrrl! Thanks as always for the nice comment. I hope to update later today -- it's been too long. It's great having this cross-Atlantic acquaitanceship -- but we need to be careful: my girlfriend's getting jealous! };--)

1:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home