Sunday, July 17, 2005

heartbreak dealer in sixcat dognights


This is the real deal..a great pic of Hoyt Axton from a website called sixcats that has a host of info about this forgotten artist.He penned "The Pusher" big for Steppenwolf, and his mother was as talented , co writing "Heartbreak Hotel" for Elvis Presley.
He got a three-year deferred sentence and a $15,000 fine for possessing more than a pound of marijuana, which was discovered from a search of his home in Bitterroot Valley.No wonder he could write such gems as Three Dog Nights "Joy to the World"
I dug out an album that has been kicking around in a box in a cupboard and was taken with the material. I must check out some more. Here is a number I particularly enjoyed after reading about his bust.
Hoyt Axton Della and the Dealer mp3 it's live and the quality isn't great but to make up for that, here is the whackiest countrry tripper I have heard this side of a magic mushroom farm
he must have been out of his tree when he wrote this little beauty
Hoyt Axton Tiger in the Closet mp3
Too hot to blog....c ya later

7 Comments:

Blogger Rock Daze said...

wow didn't know about this guy, thought that the pusher was all steppenwolf, good find.

6:38 am  
Blogger Reverend Frost said...

Brilliant stuff thanx

10:16 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

Hoyt is great. I discovered him last year:
http://flopearedmule.blogspot.com/2004_07_01_flopearedmule_archive.html#109123656267202269

12:09 am  
Blogger countrygrrl said...

wow!! fantastic that Hoyt has been such a HIT!!! I love his stuff and di you know he was in Bonzanza and played "Howard Mead" in episode:no.6.27 4 April 1965 "Dead and Gone" Hey now there is something to impress your friend with on those long winter nights ahead!!

1:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoyt did a song called "Jealous Man" -I don't have it here but I'll find it for you. I remember listening to that song years and years ago... "You got a knife and I got a gun, c'mon boy we gonna have a little fun, cuz I'm a jealous man, and I'd kill for love"

Thanks for the comments on Ezra - please check back - I tend to post in spurts so don't give up if you don't see anything new for a couple weeks...

2:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, his mom was Mae and she was quite talented in her own right.

2:01 am  
Blogger countrygrrl said...

she was indeed..co writing heartbreak hotel for the King...i guess that was a hard act to beat.However, tiger in the closet gets me everytime..eat your drugs prescription and you wouldn't even come close...will indeed check back on ezra and thanks for comments again

10:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home