Wednesday, September 19, 2007

checkpoint change


Been a hell of a long time since my last post. Where has the summer gone?? I only got out into the garden on two memorable occasions way back in April of this year.....however mustn't grumble.

Have just come back from a fabulous trip to Berlin and I trekked my liner socks right off. I spent a lot of time checking out the sites and would recommend a trip to Templehof Airport for the architecture and a day trip to Potsdam just for the chill out and cobbled streets. I went to where JFK did his famous Berliner speech and soaked up a bit of history. I didn't listen to music or check out an Internet cafe for the whole duration. That was definitely a first, but a real switch off. The only music I heard was in pubs and cafes and I kept hearing Lionel Ritchie's greatest hits....but most places had the music really low or not at all, which i really enjoyed too.

I was in Glasgow airport when the news of Pavarotti's demise came through. I was sad to hear that but cheered up when one night in a bar in Hakeshermarkt just over the line in old East Berlin, the barman played the three tenors concert LOUD. a fantastic experience, I don't think I have ever been in a bar before where classical music has been played. I don't mean that elevator crap that pretends to be classical music, but the real deal.

Here is a track that I have been listening to since I came back.Ireally like the sentiments and having wandered around Alex and Checkpoint Charlie this song really has something that captures the whole breaking down of the wall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home